Friday, November 9, 2012

Coming Soon: Parent Teacher Conferences

Parent/Teacher Conferences are coming!
     Thursday 11/15
     Monday 11/19
     Tuesday 11/20

Your child should have brought home a conference reminder this week. Part of the reminder is a survey regarding your child. This is optional but if you do choose to fill it out please return it no later than Wednesday 11/14.

Below are sample goals for your child...

ACADEMIC: These are goals for developing or strengthening academic concepts or skills in such subjects as math, reading, and writing.
Examples:
·    I will memorize all multiplication and division facts through 12 by January.
·    I will play math games to keep my mental math skills sharp (games from home and/or from school).
·    I will practice explaining my thinking using math vocabulary and supporting my ideas with examples.
·    I will think about what I am reading. I will stop and use a strategy when something is confusing or I’ve “spaced out” and can’t remember what I just read.
·    I will practice reading aloud to practice saying more advanced vocabulary and keep my oral reading skills strong.
·    I will think about how nonfiction text is organized so I can find information quickly (compare/contract; main ideas/ supporting details; time order, etc.).
·    I will think about the problem in the story and the steps the characters take to solve the problem.
·    I will write in a journal for 10 minutes each day.
·    I will keep a writing notebook at home and collect writing ideas: interesting, fun words; funny stories/ events; tape in stories from newspapers/ magazines that I like; copy inspirational poems or golden lines and try writing a poem in the style of that poet…

SOCIAL/PERSONAL: These are goals focusing on developing or strengthening process and responsibility skills such as homework, organization, and study skills.
Examples:
·    I will start my homework on time without reminders.
·    I will look over the homework at school and ask questions about parts I don’t understand before the bell is about to ring.
·    I will keep a homework place clean, organized, and stocked with items I need.
·    I will keep my desk at school organized and ready for learning.
·    I will underline or circle important words in the directions of an assignment to help me understand them. (study skill)
·    I will work on the hardest assignment first, when I am most alert. (study skill)
·    I will use my planner to include a weekly schedule of my time so I know when I can accomplish my responsibilities, remember important dates/activities for the week, and include fun activities. (study skill)

No comments:

Post a Comment